06 March, 2012

50 in 40. join me?

Lent season is underway.
I'm not usually a "Lenter" - I forget that it's coming, and by the time Fat Tuesday is here, I cannot think of anything to give up except for Chocolate, and that seems impossible, haha.  I guess that might be the point... but I've always wanted to participate and really be able to put my sight of the day that we will be celebrating 40 days from Ash Wednesday.

Lent can be abused and done for personal achievement; I want and desire to stay far away from that.
I, again, this year scrambled to figure out something to "give up" or "do" for Lent on Fat Tuesday -- I wanted to participate to really prepare my heart and put my vision on Easter Sunday, the day we celebrate Jesus' great conquer over the grave - He conquered DEATH that we may LIVE!!!!

I did not bring very many books with me to T-City... they weigh too much.  One book I did bring was Piper's "50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die."  They are 50 short blurbs about just why Jesus DID have to come to DIE for YOU and for ME.  It was no small act, no small sacrifice - it was most necessary for the HOPE of life beyond death.




I love Desiring God and how they offer FREE PDF books online.
One book, just our luck, is this book I am mentioning, read it &/or download it HERE.
Join me?
We are almost 2 weeks into Lent.  I read 1 or 2 chapters a day.
Even if you read just 1, you will be blessed.

Let us fix our eyes on Christ,
he who came as a MAN,
was CRUCIFIED, DIED,
and CONQUERED the grave.

Philippians 2:5-11 (ESV):
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant,being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.


Join me...
in being amazed, humbled, and blessed by Jesus' obedience to death.
One man died that many may live.

AMAZING love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read this. but how's it going? what the most striking reason you've come across so far?

Amanda McAlpine said...

Sorry, I never got back to you about this. I thought I had the book but I guess I don't. Must have given it away to some one- darn! I have been still fasting from sweets though. I only failed once thus far.