27 October, 2006

Whew! What a weekend!


Well, sorry I haven't posted in awhile, but the prayers that I would be kept busy have been answered for sure! Well at least for this last week! I got to participate in many things, and meet some new people! Which I really love! This last week I got to attend the Spiritual Emphasis chapels and evening sessions at the Language Institute here which was so amazing. I will try and blog on that itself in a few days. But other than that, I got to take care of some kids, like my dynamic duo above, Daniela and Diana. We ate popsicles and played outside in the nice warm sun!! I got a little sunburned in the process!
I also got to care for three kids pictured below. I am watching them for a few Thursdays in a row so the parents can attend a Bible study together. I didn't want to be paid for it at all, because I just wanted to get to know the kids a little, and play with them some. But then the parents went and helped pay for this trip to the Central American Rain Forest!
It was SO amazing! We went on a boat ride down the river that runs through it, and got to see many jungle animals! We saw monkeys, crocidiles, birds, bats, iguanas, and many more things that I don't even know the names to in English!



Here on the left is a picture of the crocodile. It is in the center of the picture, and it is a little under the log and in the shade a little. And then on the right is the picture of a green iguana type thing. It is on top of the giant log. I know they are hard to see, and the most amazing part of this boat ride was how the tour guides would see these things as we were just boating by. They would just stop, and turn around, and then point to what they saw!! It was so cool!
The best part was when the tour guide got out onto the front of the boat and started making his monkey calls! We all giggled, and tried not to let him see, but once the monkeys started to respond back, we were super amazed! It was so neat to hear that!

Here is a picture of us all on the boat.


After the rainforest, we went to La Paz Waterfall Gardens and Resort (one of the top 10 honeymoon resorts in the world). We got to walk through snake, frog, hummingbird, orchid, and butterfly gardens before we hiked to the waterfalls.



We walked to 4 of 5 different natural waterfalls in this area. These are the families I went with. Both families attend the Language Institute to learn Spanish before they head out on their mission. The family on the left is from England (sweet accent!). Their names are Lauren, Ian, Casey and Julie. They are going to be missionaires in Honduras, and God has called them to build an orphanage there. They are really fun! And then the family on the right are the Baldwin's. These are the kids I care for once a week. They are Nick, Mike, Ingrid, Cody and Brittany. They are studying Spanish for a year before heading to the Dominican Republic with the C&MA church. They are so great, and I am so blessed to get to know them, and I look forward to that in this year for sure!

And here is me in front of one of the waterfalls!
So that is what I have been up to!
What a fun weekend. We rode around in a van clearly labeled "TOURISTS", haha,
but it was all part of the experience!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet of a trip!?!?! I'm glad you were able to go on that and see all sorts of crazy animals. I'm a bit jealous of the warm weather...it's freezing cold up here right now! How's that spanish coming? Praying that the Lord will continue to give you opportunities to build relationships and spread his love! Have a great week. Love you lots!!

danielle said...

Wow- that looks like so much fun! What a blessing eh? And I love the picture of you in front of the waterfall. It's so great. It's good to hear from you- it's been a while. haha. But I'm glad that you're keeping busy. Saturday will be one month you've been gone! that's crazy! But i miss you and love you tons!

danielle said...

Oops- I meant Friday will be one month!

Anonymous said...

Hello Annie!

My name is Robyn & I go to college with Jaynee R. She has kindly shown me your blog & told me parts about your experience in Costa Rica, but unfortunately she doesn't know all the details. Costa Rica is my passion, love & life, but right now I have no idea what type of ministry God wants me to participate in. I am really interested to find out some information about why you are down there, through what program you are there & where you are located. If you have any time please email me robyn.wenstrom@mail.northcentral.edu.

God bless & good luck with everything
Robyn Wenstrom

Anonymous said...

the kids look a lot like wood

Audrey said...

WOW!! look at you :) what beautiful scenery!!!!! I have been praying for you and you should email me and let me know whats going on! LOVE YOU GIRL!!!
ultimate_sacrifice@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

aww wow! that looks sooo beautiful! i'm so glad you got that opportunity! how great!