19 October, 2006

flicks and futbol!

Last night was a night of fun! My tutor invited me to go to the movies with her and her boyfriend. It was two for one night, so it cost under $2, which was sweet, but the next sweet thing is that it was in English! haha. I guess most the movies are in English, and they just have Spanish subtitles. So that makes it really nice when I am going to go out to the movies with my friends!! So we went and saw Step Up, and I thought it was super cute, and so did Alejandra (my tutor). Her boyfriend probably didn't enjoy it as much, but it was a good flick for the night.

THEN, they were going to bring me home, but told me it was game night. What kind of game, well you guessed it, soccer! Soccer is life here, as it is with most of Europe, Latin and South America. Costa Rica is a small country, let me put it into perspective here with a little math problem...
The size of Costa Rica < West Virginia = Nova Scotia
And within Costa Rica there are 7 provinces, and each has their own professional soccer team, with San Jose having 2 (which equals 8 teams). So with that small of a country, the pride for your team choice is huge! So last night Saprissa (one of the San Jose teams...and quite possibly my team of choice...?!) was playing a rival of theirs I think. So it was a big game. So I went over with Alejandra to here sister's house where her nephew and brother were settled to watch the game. They were decked out in purple, blow horns in hand, and ready for the beloved game of futbol to begin! I didn't know what I was getting myself into!! Needless to say, Saprissa won 1-0, and boy was it intense! The boys went CRAZY when Saprissa got their goal, and didn't take their eyes off the screen the whole game, and constantly shouting at the TV. It was quite the experience! I mean I know we get crazy about our choice of sports at home, but not this crazy! It was super fun, and I'm so grateful that my tutor doesn't mind bringing me out to experience the culture!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey annie,
im michele's friend..
it sounds like you're having a good time in costa rica.. i like the pics :)

Taryn said...

yeah nova made it in there...whoot whoot!!

Joelle said...

ooh...good movie...and it was in english...and it was only 2 dollars! i love that you are a dedicated blogger...i feel that i'm in some way there with you. keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hey Annie,
Jo is right...it is so awesome to read your blog, and I do feel like I am there with you in a way. Seems like you are having a great time. Sounds like you should stick with Saprissa if everybody you hang out with likes them! Talk to you soon. Still hoping and planning to get down to see you

Anonymous said...

Annie,

Might I suggest from our now 8 months in the area. Saprissa is the only option. If you even mention in church that you have a different favorite team you might get mobbed. Also if you haven't noticed their colors match the Minnesota VIKINGS which only helps to make them the obvious choice.

Chuck